Sunday, February 17, 2008

Our Hike to Church Rock

Our journey started on saturday around noon. The thing way in the distance was what we were aiming for. The path was somewhat muddy, icy and snowy. It was beautiful outside...the perfect day for a hike.
Along the way we came across some points where we needed to slide...or crawl...kristina is demonstrating her sliding/shuffling skills. On that little slopey thing i almost went head first into some snow on my way down.
The path wasn't really marked anywhere except for some random stone piles. Well we got really confused at one point and we climbed up these 'steps' in the rock. When we got to the top we had no where to go. We were just standing on this mountain looking in all directions just seeing steep rock. So we had to go back down.
We then decided to try to go down and not up, even though we needed to go up in order to get to church rock. We came across this sweet part which we crawled up and we almost slid down...it was like a massive stoney couch. It was amazing.
On our way through the canyon part we were walking along in the mudd and water when we came across this sign below. "Private Tribal Property No Public Access" Of course we freaked out and started going back...but then i NEEDED a picture duh. So i went farther in, in order to get a new picture. Then kristina starts calling out my name in a whisper...
Earlier we saw this stone structure that we thought looked like a sacrifice thing. Well kristina spotted the sacrifice thing in the same area of the sign and wanted me to come back to her and get away from the sign. haha. oh man...our imaginations of course run wild :)
Kristina and I chillen on a rock way up high. We weren't exactly sure where to go and so we thought that we should crawl up this rock and when we did that we left our water bottles at the bottom cuz we thought we were just going to turn back. Well we saw more of these steps in the rock and i insisted that we keep going.
We went farther and this is a view out yonder at one point in time. We followed some more rock piles and finally started getting closer to church rock.
Then we were really close! but we didn't know how to make our way up towards the top...we figure out that we were going to have to swing around the backside and go up; however, we had lost a lot of time trying other paths and climbing random things. So we decided not to venture to the top and we turned around.
Backside of church rock.
On our way back i almost fell down part of the mountain. the path really wasn't very safe and i slipped on some ice and almost fell very far down...luckily i caught myself on a rock full of mud. kristina screamed cuz that is what she does :) and i was kinda shaky for a bit after that.
Basically it was an amazing day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan P said...

I hiked at Church Rock when I was in New Mexico 8(?) years ago! Fun stuff. Thanks for calling earlier today - sorry I was kinda distracted by dinner prep. :) I was going to comment on your Feb. 6post a couple weeks ago but couldn't remember by log-in info. Your post made me laugh AND think of the movie Pi - you know the part where he drills into his head . . .
Love, Julie

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You blog??? Who knew! I took a break from facebook and I miss out on so much!! :-) It's been way too long since we've connected. I hope you are well!

I love reading about your teaching adventures. I distinctly remember having a conversation with a naughty student and her friend that were passing notes as if I didn't know they were in my Child Development class..hmmm...who could that have been?

Janice

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home